Friday 17 December 2010

Digipak, Advert & CD's

This is my latest version of the digipak design containing all my own photos and the same proposed layout as my mock up version due to its success. As can be seen, it is a fairly striking cover through the vibrant perspective lights, while maintaining an atmosphere of grunge and darkness. This in essence sums up their genre of punk/pop/rock quite well by the contrasting combinations of these vibrant to dark colour schemes. Because of the perspective lines of light on the cover, I kept the layout as balanced and central as possible to keep it aesthetically pleasing. Within the cover and reverse layout I ensured I included key information such as disclaimers, the fact it is contains bonus DVD footage and other law required information. These lines continued on the reverse of the CD, although this time I decided the layout must be justified left, in order for the image to be clear. This image has a direct correlation with the front image, as if we are looking at the same scene through two varying perspectives.
On the inside, I kept the house theme of the vibrant lights, and the generally black/white colour scheme. On the inside left panel, I thought it important to include a band image due to this being their début album, and to differ it from the styles on the other panels. In this band image (construction process is explained under "photo shoot" post) I kept the members close together, and to a relatively restricted colour scheme. This was so they fitted easily within the style and to allow the lyrics of the featured track to be written beside them. Because the band image does not have a background too it, but sits on the miscellaneous backdrop, I blended them in with a set of swooping headlights twisting around them. This adds depth to the image and continues the "headlights" theme. Across both of these inside panels, I also used one headlight blur image as suggested in my feedback. This I feel works extremely well and adds a striking element to the design. 
The next element of the digipak design was the CD vinyl. For these I decided having two separate CD's would be better suited; one audio, one DVD. On these disks, I again maintained a common theme of black, white, and a slow shutter speed image of headlights. To differentiate these two disks I altered the design slightly, to correspond with its function a little more. For the audio disk, I used the basic headlights image, and superimposed a mid close up composite band pose. This signifies it is the band itself, and thus the entire album as supposed to just the bonus footage. To merge these two images together in a slightly more realistic way I added a lens flare on the left hand side, where the brightest part of the headlights were. The DVD disk though, was more focused around the featured track and music video "Headlights". To compensate for this I added more lights in a scarlet shade, thus resembling both the band "SCARLET pills" and the track "Headlights". These designs also incorporate the same positioning of law required information, band logo and disk title, number and listing. Overall these simplistic designs fit extremely well with the digipak design and work well to their given function too.
Finally I had to design a magazine advert for the band and their digipak release. Although I did not use the images from the digipak cover, or include an image of the overall cover, this I feel correlates to the product extremely well. The main points of connection between the advert and product, is the colour scheme of black with insert of vibrant blurred lights, use of bold, upper case distorted font and the constant use of the band logo. Within the digipak design, I was careful to include the band logo in bold yet non distracting ways on every panel. This was to tie the advert and product together, and more importantly because they are an upcoming band, thus should be recognised for name not the single digipak cover. The layout to this design is split into three aspects; two halves split down the middle, and a bottom strip banner. The bottom banner in this design is to hold the reviews for the product in a clear manner, while the two halves were more focused on imagery. The left half contains another band image, slightly different from that within the digipak layout, this image is important as it connects the audience with the artist, while the right side boldly displays the band logo, album title, release date and that it is a special edition. To draw more attention to these I have stuck with the font colour theme of white and yellow in a block capital distorted font, and edited them into a suitable yet bold perspective to capture the audiences attention. In the bottom left hand corner of this advert I made sure I included the places where the audience could obtain the product.
As an extra piece, I also mocked up these elements into a package, as if on display. This enabled me to view them as if they were in production. Overall I feel this is a very strong set and work together well, corresponding with each other clearly.


1 comment:

  1. Please note that these are not final because they haven't yet been through the moderation process. Also, they might alter once we can see the print work as part of a package with the video, so they might well change. I'm very pleased with them, the standard is very high this year, so well done.
    Roughly speaking, 12+is a C; 14+ is a B; 16+ is an A, 18+ an A *.
    You got 20/20

    ReplyDelete